Father NDAGIJIMANA Julien Adrien Joseph Fraipont Founder of HVP Gatagara and the
grand father of persons living with disabilities in Rwanda. He was son of Lucien
Fraipont and Angèle Boden, born on 11th October 1919 in Waremme, Province of Liège, Belgium.
Ordained Priest on 30th June 1946, he was directly appointed professor at the College of Waremme.
He was sent to Nyanza in 1957 as a professor of Christ the King.
- 1958: Request for the construction of the center
- 1959: authorization found and construction work began in 1959 with funding from Misereor.
- The Home de la Vierge des Pauvres Gatagara wasopened in 1960
- 1978, The school of laboratory was opened
- 1979, a branch for the blind.
- On May 26, 1982, Fraipont died, the Episcopal
Conference of Rwanda entrusted the HVP to the
congregation of the brothers of the charity which assumed the direction since then
Father Fraipont is the pioneer of orthopedic care and rehabilitation in Rwanda since the
foundation of HVP Gatagara in 1960.
Father Fraipont initiated in Rwanda inclusive and special education for people with disabilities.